So here's some of the things that are going on with me:
- Solaris Skunkwerks: I have been a developer on a Java based Open Source project (for those that know me this should be a shock!) which is creating a BattleMech Editor program for Battletech that is using the most current rules from Total Warfare, TechManual, Tactical Operations and beyond. I work mostly on the GUI itself trying to make it as easy to use as possible and add the features that *I* want which hopefully someone else likes too.
- Battletech Force Balancer: Before starting to help out on SSW I had asked LostInSpace (SSW's Lead Developer) to throw together a program that would let me balance two forces...then I took it over and turned it into my own Open Source project.
- GenghisCon 2009: I ran a few games at GenghisCon 2009 and had a good turnout, the Fall of Outreach games run by John Tiffany and I reached 25 players which is the most I've seen in years!
- GenCon 2009: I hadn't planned on going originally but during a discussion regarding volunteer staffing for events I thought I'd take a look at flights and found one for $200 which was much lower then I had anticipated. This made it viable so I will be attending again this year. Aug 12-16 in Indianapolis, IN for anyone interested in checking out LOTS of games!
- Sharepoint / .Net / MVC: Last year my organization restructured the IT departments and I went from being a Classic ASP Support Developer to a Sharepoint Developer. This was quickly followed by a hold on all training budgets so I haven't received much in the way of knowledge but I've been doing some Sharepoint Master page development and am working through Infopath Forms and Workflows that should be interesting for future stuff.
I also took it upon myself to work through the .Net MVC NerdDinner tutorial put up by Scott Guthrie. I was amazed at some of the built in abilities of the MVC framework and started to work on my own version of this but ran into a couple of walls and have not put more time into it.
I have also started up work on a .Net Webforms website to improve my understanding but again have petered out on it...hoping to start that back up soon.
- JQuery: I am loving this library more and more, I finally wrote my first basic plugin to easily handle FAQ style Question Answer collapsible sections and put it up as an open source project on Google Code @ http://code.google.com/p/jquery-basic-faq/ and am looking at trying to create an ajax content type plugin to do make it easy to insert content into a page.
- JQuery UI: The newest version of JQuery UI (1.7.2 as of this writing) has really started to reach it's potential. I recently converted a bunch of pages that would take 50s or more because they were loading the content on the server and converted them into using the JQuery UI Tabs with Ajax loading. This means that the page itself loads into the browser in 2s now and the content only gets requested/loaded when the user clicks the tab.